As your new superintendent, it is hard to fully describe how humbled, honored, and excited I am to join and lead this amazing district into the future.
Since I was very young, I knew I wanted to be an educator. I will never forget how I felt 19 years ago walking into my first classroom as a 3rd-grade teacher. I instantly knew, in every way, that I wanted to teach, grow, and build a career that centered around helping kids.
As time moved along, and after I started a family and became more involved in the Northwest Ohio community, my passion grew even stronger. This passion led me to where I am today as an educational leader and defines why I have a strong belief in collaborative leadership, teamwork, and family.
As we start a new year together and begin to “reset” our minds for new beginnings, new students, and new experiences, I believe now is the perfect time for us as an organization to take a step back and find our “WHY.” The start of a school year is a perfect opportunity to think about the reasons we became educators, the goals we seek for our students and ourselves every day, and the passion that drives what we do and how we do it.
Simply put: We need to start each and every day with WHY.
Dr. Adam Fineske
About our district:
We are a small suburban district with an enrollment of about 1,000 students. Students are housed in two buildings: the Elementary School for grades K-6 and a Junior/Senior High School for grades 7-12.
Our district has been serving the people and children of Ottawa Hills since 1925. The Village of Ottawa Hills (population: 4,474) is an important partner in the success of our system.
During its history, the district has become widely known for academic excellence and has established itself as one of Ohio’s premier schools. Our high school was recently named as one of the Top 5 in Ohio for the second consecutive year by U.S. News & World Report. As important, the building moved up significantly and is now ranked as the 136th best high school in the United States, up from 258 last year. That puts us in the Top 1 percent of all high schools in the nation.
In addition, the district last year received all A’s on the Ohio Department of Education’s Local Report Card for a fourth consecutive year – a recognition earned and shared by thousands of students, parents, faculty, staff, and community members. Ottawa Hills is the only Ohio district (from more than 600) to receive the grade of “A” in all six categories for four consecutive years. The categories in which data are collected and measured are Achievement, Gap Closing, K-2 Literacy, Progress, Graduation Rate, and Prepared for Success.
Dr. Fineske teaching and leadership experience:
- Doctorate of Educational Leadership. Concordia University (May 2015)
- Master of Education, Educational Administration. University of Toledo (August 2004)
- Bachelor of Education. University of Toledo (May 2000)
State of Ohio Certifications
- Superintendent Licensure, Current
- OPES Certified Evaluator, Current
Teaching and leadership experience
- Ottawa Hills Local Schools:
- Superintendent: 2019-present
- Sylvania Schools:
- Superintendent: 2017-2019
- Assistant superintendent/executive director of teaching & learning: 2016-2017
- Executive director of curriculum & assessment: 2012-2016
- Principal, Hill View Elementary School: 2008-2012
- Assistant principal, Arbor Hills Junior High School: 2006-2008
- District intervention specialist, Hill View Elementary (grades K-5): 2005-2006
- 3rd-grade teacher, Sylvan Elementary: 2000-2005
- Other work experiences:
- Marketing and programming specialist. City of Toledo Mayor’s Office: 1999-2000
- Sales, marketing, and communications representative. Coca-Cola of Northern Ohio: 1997-2000